Our Teacher Eisho Peterson will return to Sedona on Monday, October 27. We’ll have a number of practice opportunities and teachings at the zendo in November. Please join us for a strong month of practice. The schedule for November 2014 will be as follows:
– Sunday November 2: Zazen and Dharma Talk (8.30 – 10.45 am)
– Tuesday November 4: Fusatsu (5.30 – 7.00 pm) By candlelight. Refreshments to follow.
Fusatsu is an ancient Buddhist ceremony of atonement, traditionally held at the time of the full moon each month. (The full moon in November is the 6th.) This is the first time we will practice this beautiful ceremony at the Red Rocks Zen Circle. The ceremony involves chanting as well as bowing and kneeling, or you may simply stand. There will be a short talk on the Precepts. Zazen 5.30 – 6.00; fusatsu 6.00 – 6.45 pm.
– Sunday November 9: Book Discussion: David Loy’s The World Is Made Of Stories
– Tuesday November 11 (and same for Nov 18 and 25): Zazen with Dharma Reflection (5.30 – 7.00 pm)
The theme for Dharma Reflections will be our Zen ancestors and their teachings.
– Sunday November 16: Zazen and Dharma Talk
– Saturday November 22: Zazenkai (Tentative) 8.30 am – 3.30 pm
A zazenkai is a one-day retreat and a wonderful way to deepen your practice. This extended day of practice includes multiple periods of zazen, kinhin, dharma talk, oryoki midday meal together in the zendo, and optional individual teacher meetings. I will be sending out a note for sign-up to see if we have enough attendance to schedule this.
– Sunday November 23: Book Discussion, The World is Made of Stories
– Sunday November 30: Zazen and Dharma Talk
Eaisho will also be available for individual meetings, for anyone who would like to meet to talk about practice issues.
Please join us for any or all of the above practice periods.